So many, many things to be thankful for this month or any month, and the ability to move our bodies outside is one of them.
Reminder of November Bike Events
All month long: #RideInTheRain. This one is promoted by Washington Bikes but there’s no reason it has to be confined to the Evergreen State. Note: No requirement for actual rain affecting the length or timing of your ride. I find a lot of beautiful sunny days to ride, most Novembers.
#Coffeeneuring wraps up this month on Nov. 20.
Nov. 18, 2023: #Cranksgiving. The Saturday before Thanksgiving, ride your bike to collect food for food banks. This food drive scavenger hunt by bike doesn’t happen in your town? Well, you have nearly 11 months to plan, promote and make it happen if you’re reading this in January. Tom Fucoloro of Seattle Bike Blog gets it rolling in Seattle, and people organize it in Port Angeles, Sequim, Tacoma and West Seattle. Find your town on the map.
Better yet, do this at a time of year other than the winter holidays. People need to eat year round. And before you donate any canned foods, watch Adam Ruins Everything on canned food drives and why you might decide to ride your bike to the food bank and give them some cash instead, or at least not treat this as an excuse to clean out your pantry and get rid of food you wouldn’t eat yourself.
The savvy Cranksgiving organizers put together lists of things to purchase so you’re not donating old bulging cans of that oddball ingredient for a recipe you decided not to make. But even fresh foods require storage and that costs money. Your donated dollars will go farther spent by the food bank staff than the boxes of stuff you buy at full retail prices.
Riding Down Memory Lane: Posts of November Pasts
- “We Are Still Here”: Indigenous-focused Bicycle Programs
- What’s in a Name? Acoustic or Analog, Regular or Traditional Bicycle*
- Happy Holiday + Awesome Alliteration
- Give Your Power to Truth: What Story Are You Writing for Your Life?
- Bike Touring Round-up: Bike the Gap + C&O Canal Towpath: Takes you back through the tour we rode in October 2017
- Biking Is the Spice of Life
- Personal Privilege and Biking: It Takes More than a Bike Lane to Start Riding (2016 update)
- Cast On, Bind Off: The Blogspedition Knits up a Storm
- Winning the Race
- In Which I Give Thanks for Biking
- Baby, It’s Cold Outside!
- Wednesday Words: Bicycling Quotations on Metaphors for Life
- Evolution, Not Revolution: All Biking Motives Welcome, Part I
- Evolution, Not Revolution: All Biking Motives Welcome, Part II