As I’ve gone exploring for women’s biking blogs to put on the big list of women’s biking blogs, I’ve run into some fun patterns. Knitting patterns, that is! Something about biking and knitting must go together, given the number of blogs I’ve found that include both topics.
Whether it’s the calming repetition to be found in both pedaling and knitting or the idea that you can start something, enjoy doing it along the way, and have a sense of accomplishment when you finish–whether it’s a scarf or a bike ride–I don’t know. At any rate, I’ve been finding more time to knit recently myself and a cozy round-up of bike blogs that also cover knitting and other yarn work seemed like just the thing for autumn reading.
- Bobbin and Sprocket: Not only knitting but also handspinning, weaving, and crochet in Johnson City, TN
- Knitting Lemonade: Knitting and sewing in Salt Lake City, UT.
- Lynne’s Mostly Cycling Blog: From Portland, OR, she’s tried making some handspun too, and has a beautiful lace shawl project in one of her posts.
- Pedal ‘n Purl: In her last update in August this Washington, DC blogger notes that writing blog posts interferes with biking and knitting so she’ll probably be writing less. Can hardly blame her!
- Jersey Knitter: She just hunkered down with her knitting to ride out Hurricane Sandy in New Jersey after a “summer of socks” batch of knitting projects. We wish her well!
- Purling Sprite: *Bike. Run. Knit. Repeat from *.
- Stumbling Over Chaos: More e-books and giveaways than knitting and biking, but she touches on those too.
- Going Whole Cog: Stopped posting in March 2012; a fan of socks.
- Knitting by Bicycle: Home renovation along with knitting and biking.
- Loves to Bike and Knit: Was posting regular pictures of a variety of projects but stopped in 2008.
- Ride, Knit, Read: She rides both horses (dressage) and bicycles in addition to doing her knitting.
- She Knits Shizknits: Mothering and knitting in California.
- Squid Knits: Fiber arts and biking in New York City.
- Rose Read: A big fan of sock projects!
- Do you blog, bike, and knit? Post a link to your blog so it’s captured here!
- Have any awesome bike-related knitting patterns we should all check out?
Bike knitting patterns spotted on Lovely Bicycle: http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2016/11/a-fine-day-for-knit-bike.html
Ran across a blog post on yarn-bombing a bike rack that seemed to belong here: http://thetanglednest.com/2011/03/knit-graffiti-yarn-bombing-and-other-dangerous-hobbies/
Found another one–and that will keep happening for sure. The nature of blogspeditions, as with bikespeditions, is that the more you look, the more you see! Accidento Bizarro has some knitting posts: http://accidentobizarro.wordpress.com/
Barb, this is fantastic! I have been meaning to post more bike-craft stuff on my blog, and this has inspired me to do so. Thanks for the round up! I did a bicycle baby blanket awhile back- http://pedal-petal.blogspot.com/2011/10/bicycle-baby-blanket.html . (there’s a link to the color work chart somewhere in there, one of these days I’ll post the entire pattern).
Thanks for this list! There are definitely a couple in there that I’ll be reading regularly.
Awesome roundup! I’ve been finding more time to knit lately, too (my knitting definitely goes in waves). I would add Amanda from Portland’s blog “The Knit Cycle”: http://www.theknitcycle.com
Check out the cute patterns and ideas at Bicitoro (a bike blog that covers various crafts that I’ll have to add to the list above!): http://www.bicitoro.com/guest-post-on-knitting-winter-activewear