Thanks to the Women’s Bike Blog list I can get a taste of New York biking life before I get there. Herewith a round-up of the blogs I’ve collected from New York City. They all give me different voices and views and I love the local insights.
I get to chat with some of them occasionally on Twitter and have reached out to ask what I should check out while I’m in New York. We’re now tweeting about the possibility of a women’s bike blog tweet-up (live meeting of people who know each other via Twitter). I love the community I’ve found through the simple mechanism of starting a list!
- Sheryl Yvette: Love her attitude! She’s a glamour girl who blogs about her Weight Watchers and fitness. She also blogs at High Heels and Two Wheels on the Weight Watchers site. Twitter: @SherylYvette and @bitchcakesny
- Houdini and Me: This blogger named her dog Houdini and her bike Martha Stewart. In the “it’s a small world” category she’s also an actress, which I thought was cool when I spotted that originally since Second Daughter is planning to embark on musical theater studies. Twitter: @HoudiniAndMe
- The Fun Between My Legs: Points for title creativity! And have to love the 25-year-old author’s bio: “Lewd, crude and tattooed newlywed and stepmom living on a cruiser bicycle in the nitty gritty.” Twitter: @M3s0
- The Bike Writer: 20-something Mandi commutes daily from Queens to Union Square so she knows city riding! If I were heading to New York to participate in a specific big bike tour I would definitely read her reviews before committing. Twitter: @thebikewriter
- The Julie Blog: Julie rides a great-looking Linus Dutchie bike she has accessorized in pink. I love it. And she’s been on the Martha Stewart show to show how to make her pretty silk bead necklace. Twitter: @juleskills
- Velojoy: She contributes to Momentum Magazine, which I read. Reading a guest blog post on winter bike cleaning may inspire me, since as I noted in a recent winter ride report the road is making for a pretty grimy bike these days. Twitter: @velojoy
- The Monday Biker: She has a Brompton folding bike I’d love to get a look at. I learned a new term from one of her December posts: “Panda bike photography” is a picture taken of yourself, by yourself, while on your bike. I may have to try this when the roads aren’t slippery.
- For the Love of Bikes: I love the illustration at the top of this blog: A bike with hearts in the spokes and pedals. A recent post tells me about a Greek restaurant I may have to check out: Souvlaki GR’s on the Lower East Side. You Downton Abbey fans should catch this post on the show’s bikes. Twitter: @4theloveofbikes
- Inspired Cyclist: She posts some great ride photos—I loved her round-up for Thanksgiving. Twitter: @inspiredcyclist
- A Packable Feast: Mostly writes about creative lunches—well beyond the PBH and carrot sticks my mom used to pack!—but also gets in a little biking now and then.
- Adeline Adeline: A blog from a shop I hope to visit.
- Changing Amy: She blogs from the Bronx about the weight-loss roller coaster she’s on.
- Brooklyn by Bike: Title pretty much says it all! Twitter: brooklynbybike
- Mid-Life Cycling: Blogging and biking in Queens. I appreciate her voice—you’ll get a great understanding for who she is from this post.
A few possibly defunct ones but I know blogging can lapse and start again:
- This Side of the Blue: Last posted in 2009.
- Thoughts from the Bubble: Last posted in July 2011.
- Thoughts of Mint Green: Last posted in April 2011.
- Squid Knits: Last posted in September 2011. I’ve found quite a few knitting bikers in my rounds of women’s bike blogs.
- Dykes on BiCycles: Site says it’s under reconstruction and they haven’t said anything on Twitter since last June, so…. Twitter: @dob_c
- FixiePostcard: Be ready for the autoplay sound on the site. Last post May 2011 and the Twitter account she used to have no longer has the @fixiepostcard name so I can’t find it.
- Know of any NYC women’s bike blogs not on this list? Post links here and I’ll update the master list.