Some of the reasons I love them:
- The silky, body-skimming fabric is wonderful on your skin and utterly forgiving of lumps, bumps, and bulges.
- The fabric choices generally are “busy” patterns. Busy in a good way, that is. I tend toward pretty conservative solids and small patterns in my work clothing but have learned that their choices are great for distracting the eye and further disguising said lumps, bumps, and bulges.
- They dry in a flash whether wet from sweat or from a quick swish in the sink while you’re traveling–always ready to wear the next day. Friends have taken them to Italy and The Netherlands and report that in humid weather when nothing else would dry, the Nuu or Ruu was ready to rock.
- The Ruu-Muu pocket is especially handy. Not just for biking, when you might want to stash arm warmers or sunglasses for weather changes, but for tennis balls, golf balls, and other athletic stuff–or for your car keys if you’re wearing it to the grocery store. No more fishing in your purse!
- They’re well-made, made in the US, and last a long time. Betsy and I each have one we purchased around five years ago and they’re still going strong with no signs of wear–and believe me, we wear them like crazy!
- I’m thrilled that when I sell them I’m supporting a woman-owned business right here in my home state of Washington. So many great products I’ve found, like Po Campo bags and Pedal Panties, are the result of women who ride together, identify a gap in the existing bike products line-up, and create something made just for us. These aren’t the result of a focus group–they’re from the heart.
I’ve told a Nuu-Muu-inspired story about how body image can hold us back or we can free ourselves. They seriously, seriously, look good on women of all sizes. One woman who tried on a size XXL at a Summer Parkways event said wonderingly, “These make my legs look great.”
Betsy and I were at the South Perry Street Fair and a woman said to size 00 Betsy, “Well, of course they look great on you. You’re a size nothing! What about someone who has some junk in the trunk?” Betsy called out, “Hey Barb! Turn around!”
I turned around (Exhibit A). She bought one. Unfortunately, so far they only go up to a size XXL but if you’re a size XXL and think you can’t wear cute little dresses, try on one of these.
Paired with Pedal Panties, they’re my standard summer riding wear. In fact, I have to confess that now if I ride in a “regular” bike outfit of jersey and shorts I feel a little . . . naked. Not fully dressed the way I would feel in a cute little dress that keeps my butt (AKA trunk junk) covered. If I get off the bike at a coffee shop or store I don’t feel out of place; I’m wearing a dress and ready to go anywhere.
Bottom line, they are cute-cute-CUTE. My Nuus and Ruus are my automatic go-to every weekend all summer long and into the fall. I throw on a jacket or arm warmers and some tights to keep wearing them as long as I can.
You want one.
So where can you get one of these adorable numbers? Check the Events category to see where the next Bike Style shopping event will take place or email me, bikestylespokane-at-gmail.com, to get the cutest dress you’ll ever sweat in.